Tuesday, November 6, 2012

ombre fail

I love to DIY and most of the time the projects turn out wonderfully, but other times I just fail, I fail miserably. Anyone who keeps up with the latest fashion trends knows that ombre is HUGE! So here is what I did step by step and there will be pictures but I am going to tell you up front that I was less than impressed with the final product. 
SUPPLIES:
- white sweatshirt/shirt/whatever you want to dye
- pink dye/ whatever color you want. 
- a bucket 
- plastic trash bag
- lots of paper towels 

STEPS:
1. I washed and dried my white sweatshirt.
2. Mixed the dye according to the instructions on the bottle. I used Rit dye. 
3. I personally wanted the entire sweatshirt to be shades of pink and not have a weird white looking ring around my neck so I QUICKLY dunked the entire sweatshirt in the dye. 
4. Left roughly 3/4 of the sweatshirt in the dye for 20 minutes.
5. Left the last 1/2 to 1/4 of the sweatshirt in the dye overnight. 
  


AND STOP! Here is where I ran into a problem the dye at the bottom of the sweatshirt did not look as dark and concentrated as I would have liked to I followed the dye directions and washed the sweatshirt and went and bought another bottle of dye but a shade darker than the first and dipped the bottom 1/4 of the sweatshirt in the dye for roughly 30 minutes. Now before I washed it looked great but then I washed it and BAM! the look was gone. So if you have any ideas that could help me fix the problem please let me know.  



No comments:

Post a Comment